Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Morning ramblings

The four o'clock wake up call seems to be a consistency in my life these days. All the world is still dark, yet there is still some early bird that wants the world to wake up. The house is quiet, the cat asleep above my head purrs when I scratch his ears. This soothes me, yet sometimes I find it difficult to find sleep again. Its interesting the thoughts that pass through one's mind in that in between sleep/wake stage. Sometimes they are calm reflections on the days that have passed and the days that are to come, and sometimes they are just manic worries that keep one from finding that quiet that allows the mind to drift back into REM. Eventually today, I was able to find sleep once more, but the alarm clock sang its song all too soon for me. I could have stayed in bed for hours longer, scratching that kitty who sleeps above my head all night long, his sweet purring lullaby lulling me back into the dream scape.

Morning comes stumbling and its only the rapid movements via the aid of coffee and domestic routines that seem to capture the life back into me. A clean house makes the mind seem to be less chaotic. Dishes in the dishwasher instead of in the sink, a made bed, clothes either stuffed lackadaisically in the drawers or hung neatly in the closet. Not that it matters much to me either way, I have no qualms with wrinkled clothing.

A reward came with a very unhealthy breakfast this morning, which will likely stay in my belly and in my soul until dinner time. Hopefully this evening will be a productive one and I'll be able to fall asleep again with a calm conscience. But it's always the four o'clock wake up call that I can rely on. Maybe I should just go to bed two hours earlier and start my day at four the way that old ladies do. If I had a garden, this would be the perfect time to water it. The winter has been unkind to my potted plants, and I look forward to balmier weather so that I might be able to start a new brood of chlorophyll colored children.

My office feels lonely today. I need the companionship of a fish swirling in a fish bowl or a plant that I might talk to. From what I understand its good for the chi.



No comments:

Post a Comment