Friday, October 2, 2009

Old things...

So I came across this book while moving that I started making in 2003, while I was still in art school. It is filled with poetry and drawings, and honestly, I had forgotten that I used to dabble in poetry further than haikus... they're not very good poems, but I still enjoy them. Below are a couple of my favorite excerpts from the book... the first sounds like something Shel Silverstein would have written on a bad day if he waited tables.

Dinner Rush
Salty film, body odor
You leave me with this each time
Tight shoulders, sore feet
Crusted food finger grime.
Each day I see you
A mask is worn to shield me from the truth
That I am only a robotic slave
"Would you like a table or a booth?
How 'bout some ketchup for your fucking fries,
Or maybe extra gravy?"
If the money wasn't so damn good,
This job would drive me crazy.

Feline Friend
You curiously move
Always searching
Continuously finding questions
Come sit by me and relax
You enjoy it most when you're ignored.
When you discover my feelings
Or uncover the answers
The attitude changes and you leave
Little sass.
Faithful friend.
Aloof companion.

Colored Powder
Shiny pieces of powder
Coat her wings like pixie dust
Fluttering arms in thin helium air
Weightless balloon
Effortless flight.
Higher and higher her body soars
By aid of colored powder
Catching Gaia's breath
Air gliding meadow love
Warm sunshine pollinator
Darkness' evil net will snatch her
And clean the dust from her wings
Put her in a jar
Forgetting to poke holes in the lid.
Suffocating freedom
Thick, chocking air.
No way out but to blame herself
Such a stupid butterfly
How long does she have until her sour air
Pollutes her lungs, her mind
Forever?
End it butterfly
So that maybe you'll return as a bumble bee.
Surely next time you will see that ominous net
And escape
From all this that dooms you.

No comments:

Post a Comment