Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Invincible running warrior woman

It seems to me that in order to be a truly successful runner, one must be at least a little masochistic. Sure, after x amount of miles, one gets the so called, "runner's high," which doesn't seem to really happen for me that much. Or maybe I'm just not as affected by it. But be that as it may, if the runner's high is merely a means to keep one from being in pain, then I suppose that by about mile 3 of every run, I get the runner's high.

This high cannot be compared to anything that one might get from a mind altering substance mind you. In fact, it kind of sucks by comparison.

However, that being said, I have had long runs and even run races to find that a blister on my heel would have broken open without my noticing. Blisters that pop and start bleeding, pooling in the back of my shoe without me taking any notice at all. Could this be because the runner's high keeps me from feeling pain? You know, honestly, probably not. I feel plenty of pain throughout my runs. Yet, I keep going.

I am stronger than this. I am powerful. I am the invincible gazelle and I can run from the lions forever!

Yes, I think it might be the mental high more than anything else that keeps me going. That feeling of power that one gets after a long run, or that feeling of invincibility that one gets after beating your best time on a short run.

And then there are the days like today, where I meet my goal of 5 miles and feel fine. A relatively simple goal by my normal standards, yet sometimes the humidity and heat of the swamp like climate, which I live gets the best of me. One gets overheated and then she fights the urge to vomit. Ahh, but sometimes puking is the only real way to alleviate that horrible nausea that comes with being overheated or taxing your cardiovascular system anaerobically. For me today, it was horrible yet divine at the same time.

Hell, I got more of a runner's high from vomiting afterward than from the run itself. Yet, I keep going. And going. Maybe it helps to remind me that I'm alive.

" I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am. I am." ~ Sylvia Plath

No comments:

Post a Comment